The earlyReading Spanish -- Onset Sounds subtest assesses a student's phonemic awareness, which is the ability to identify and manipulate the smallest units of sound in spoken language. During the earlyReading Spanish -- Onset Sounds subtest, the teacher asks the student to identify the first sound in a pictured word. earlyReading Spanish -- Onset Sounds is part of the Composite in the fall and winter of kindergarten and can also be used for progress monitoring.
Before administering the earlyReading Spanish -- Onset Sounds subtest be sure to download the student forms from the Training & Resources tab in the FastBridge system.
- Select the Training & Resources tab.
- Select Downloads
- Then, select Download resources under earlyReading.
- Finally, click on the PDF icon under the OS column, in the Administrator row.
The student forms look like this:
To administer this assessment for the purpose of universal screening:
- Log in to the FastBridge system as a teacher.
- Go to the Screening tab.
- Select the earlyReading assessment.
- Select the OSs column from the earlyReading Spanish Screening page.
To administer this assessment for purposes of progress monitoring:
- Log into the FastBridge system as a teacher or a specialist.
- Go to the Progress Monitoring tab.
- Use the filters to find the correct assessment group of students.
- Select Start for the desired student and choose a Form.
Here is what the teacher sees when administering the earlyReading Spanish - Onset Sounds subtest.
For more information about the earlyReading Spanish -- Onset Sounds subtest complete the online earlyReading Spanish course found in the Training & Resources section of the FastBridge system.
To do so, navigate to the Training & Resources tab, and click on the earlyReading Spanish course tile.
Then, select the Onset Sounds option on the vertical menu. Complete Lessons 1 through 8 in order to certify in the earlyReading Spanish - Onset Sounds subtest.