FastBridge offers reading interventions in the following skill areas:
- Concepts of Print
- Phonemic Awareness
The downloadable materials for each intervention are located in the Training & Resources section of the FastBridge system. These interventions were developed by a team led by Dr. Ted Christ at the University of Minnesota to help educators answer the question typically asked after screening, “What do we do next?” The interventions are research-referenced and built from the available evidence for the most effective reading instruction practices. They are aligned with FastBridge assessments and the National Reading Panel’s “big five” areas of reading. The interventions are designed to be used as both whole-class (Tier 1) and small-group (Tier 2) instructional supports and are included in the Screening to Intervention Report for reading (s2i-R) within the reading instruction plans.
Locating FastBridge Reading Interventions
To access the interventions:
- Select the Training & Resources tab.
- Scroll down to the Intervention section for Reading.
- Select the desired reading intervention area.
4. Once opened, the vertical menu on the left shows a list of interventions currently available for this area; the names of the interventions are in blue text. Select one of these interventions to see the lesson components.
All FastBridge reading interventions are teacher-delivered instruction (TDI). This means that the teacher needs to first access intervention materials through the FastBridge system, and then administer the intervention to the students in a synchronous setting.
Each FastBridge intervention includes eight components:
- Introduction: A description of the intervention and learning objectives
- Standardized Administration: Video showing the intervention procedures
- Whole Group Instruction: Materials and lesson plan for whole-class sessions
- Small Group Instruction: Materials and lesson plan for small-group sessions
- Formative Assessment: Explains how to set student-specific goals
- Practice: Observation checklist for intervention procedures
- Certification: In development
- Resources: References for research about the intervention procedures
Here is an example of the introduction for a Phonics intervention called Picture Card Sort.
The following table lists all FastBridge reading interventions by skill area.
|Concepts of Print||Concepts of Print Interventions|
|Phonemic Awareness||Beginning Word AwarenessRhyming WordsDeletion using 2-Syllable WordsDeletion using 3-Syllable WordsOnset SoundsOnset-Rime: Onset DeletionOnset-Rime: Rime DeletionOnset-Rime: Onset SubstitutionOnset-Rime: Rime SubstitutionManipulating Initial Blends: DeletionManipulating Initial Sounds: SubstitutionManipulating Final Sounds: DeletionManipulating the Medial Vowel: SubstitutionManipulating Initial Blends (Second Sound): DeletionManipulating Initial Blends (Second Sound): SubstitutionManipulating Final Blends: SubstitutionManipulating Ending Blends (Medial Phoneme): DeletionManipulating Ending Blends (Medial Phoneme): Substitution|
|Phonics||Picture Card SortLetter Sound BingoWord BoxesWord Mix-Up|
|Fluency||Fluency Self-MonitoringListening Passage Preview with Phrase DrillRepeated Reading with PartnerSight Word BingoSight Word FlashcardsSight Word RaceWide Reading with Partner|
|Vocabulary||AntonymsPre-teaching Vocabulary 3-5Pre-teaching Vocabulary K-2PrefixesSuffixesSynonymsVocabulary in Texts and BeyondVocabulary Teaching in TextVocabulary Word Cards Grades 1-3Vocabulary Word Cards Grades 4-5|
|Comprehension||Repeated Reading with ComprehensionWord ComprehensionReading Strategies in TextGenerating Inferences and Summaries|
Additional information about administering reading interventions can be found in the article Understanding and Using Reading Interventions.