FastBridge has organized its guidance and resources for reading instruction and intervention into the six domains shown below, covering all five areas in the National Reading Panel Report (2000), including Vocabulary. The interventions are included as part of the Instruction Plans in the Screening to Intervention Report for Reading (s2i-R). There are both whole- and small-group lesson materials available in the Training and Resources section of the FastBridge system. Each intervention includes eight sections and users are encouraged to examine all the sections of an intervention prior to using it with students. This article provides information about the Vocabulary interventions and resources for teaching students from diverse backgrounds.
Vocabulary involves knowing:
- word meanings;
- that some words have multiple meanings; and
- that word meanings are important to communicating through written words.
Vocabulary knowledge is a foundational skill necessary for reading proficiency. Additional information about how best to teach Vocabulary as part of a comprehensive reading curriculum is found in the free practice guides:
- Improving Reading Comprehension in Kindergarten Through 3rd Grade
- Teaching Academic Content and Literacy to English Learners in Elementary and Middle School
The FastBridge Screening to Intervention Report for Reading (s2i-R) provides the best guidance for which interventions to use with whole classes as well as small groups. Go to the Training & Resources tab and select Vocabulary. The available FastBridge Vocabulary interventions include the following:
- Pre-teaching Vocabulary 3-5
- Pre-teaching Vocabulary K-2
- Vocabulary in Texts and Beyond
- Vocabulary Teaching in Text
- Vocabulary Word Cards Grades 1-3
- Vocabulary Word Cards Grades 4-5